The world has gone virtual! We search online, we play online, we connect online, we romance online and we shop online. When it's about shopping - from medicines, toys, gifts, flowers - to clothes and groceries, practically everything is available on the Internet.
And, there is so much choice - all of it available at the click of a button, at the tap of a mouse and at the convenience of our door-steps. It's all amazing! Isn't it?
It's a revolution, and today, it's in our hands. No wonder, one is often left marveling at the unthinkable inroads, we have made into the Internet technology. But, isn't the choice overwhelming?
Well, it surely does leave many of us baffled, when it comes to shopping for clothes online -even more, when it's about expensive and beautiful Indian Ethnic Fashion-wear. Garments, since forever, have been about the 'look and feel', and 'the fit'. "How can they be purchased from a remote location?" - many questioned, when this trend had started.
The hugely popular trend, however, proved, beyond doubt, that people loved the concept, ease and convenience of shopping online for garments. This also proved to be a practical and useful concept, specifically for people living away from their home country. In this age and era of globalization, this is an issue sellers could not forego.
But, all said and done, it is true that buying online comes with its own set of confusions. Then, how do you ensure that you make the best garments purchase online?
Here are a few tips -
- Get your measurements right, and keep them updated.
- A recent survey reveals that the biggest issue and fear people face, while buying clothes online is regarding sizing.
- Although most clothing retailers online allow hassle-free returns and exchanges, a sizing issue proves to be a big deterrent in repeat purchases.
- Each time you buy, refer to a sizing guide. Sizing differs for various sub-brands and clothing, even if you happen to buy from the same E-retailer.
- Also, in case of form-fitting garments and Indian Ethnic wear, don't just go by standard sizing charts. Be careful, if the specifications mention that you need to give very accurate measurements (like in the case of a saree blouse, even a 3/4th inch deviation from your size may spoil the fit)
- Standard clothing sizing is different from customized clothing sizing.
- Measure yourself, and take a help of a professional or a friend to do so. Note down the measurements, and match with the standard sizing charts, while buying.
- Update your measurements, if you purchase after a gap.
Update and keep an open mind...
- Yes, keep browsing to keep yourself updated with latest styles and trends in Indian Ethnic Fashion wear and even all other apparel categories.
- If you browse after a long gap, you would feel out of touch with what the E-commerce platform has to offer. So, be a regular, in this regard.
- You may start browsing with a certain thing in mind, but there may be tonnes of other options available, instead of the exact specifications, you had in mind initially. If you keep an open mind, you may chance upon some really smart choices.
- Keep yourself updated with your favorite portal's customer services, return and exchange policies and payment options.
- Give newbies a chance!
- For expensive and classic purchases, it is best to stay loyal to certain trusted and tried portals and brands, which have worked for you in the past.
- Although, it may not make sense to keep buying from the same platform, when the choice available is huge, it certainly helps if you stick to a selected few, specifically when sizing and quality are your priorities.
- Likewise, for tailored apparels, expensive Indian ensembles and outfits meant for special occasions, stay loyal to a tried and tested online platform. Consistently buy from it, so there are no last minute unpleasant surprises.
- The same applies to fashion styles that suit you the best. Stay loyal to a few chosen cuts and trends, irrespective of whether they are trending or not. For example, if long Anarkalis accentuate your profile more than any other silhouette, continue ordering and wearing them for your special occasions.
Don't follow fads and trends blindly.
- What looks great in pictures - on models and in meticulously planned photo-shoots - may not look equally wonderful on you!
- Remember, it is quite easy to go haywire, while picking stuff online, given the constant barrage of new styles, latest trends, super attractive offers and lovely pictures.
- Consider your body type, likes, needs and lifestyle - while buying online.
- You may be in love with sheer net sarees, but buying them will be a bad idea, if your work wardrobe doesn't have any space for them.
- Same goes for other apparels and trends, like crop tops, thigh-high slit skirts, printed leggings etc. If you won't wear them more than once, or won't be comfortable wearing them - don't buy them.
Read the fine-print
- Read the product descriptions carefully, before making a buying decision.
- This is specifically important, in case of Indian ethnic ensembles, as fabrics, cuts and style specifications can be extremely confusing and misleading.
- For example, 'silk' is not always silk, and there is a huge difference between Bhagalpuri Silk and Bangalore Silk. Art silk is a silk-polyester blend, supposed to be way cheaper than pure silk. Read carefully, and if needed, call up the retailer's customer care representatives to confirm.
- Same goes for sizing. In case of your blouses and other form fitting apparel, if an E-retailer insists on 'Accurate Sizing', don't go by standard sizing stats, or you will repent later.
- Save on vat and shipping charges, by cashing on special offers, combo-offers and seasonal discounts.